Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Proud Daddy Moment.



Today was my 7 year old daughters Cultural school day function. It was to celebrate the diversity of people in her school.  All the second graders had small roles to play. Each class was given a different country to speak about. My daughters classroom had China and my little shy girl had a speaking part! My nerves were on edge for my little girl. I know all to well how crippling shyness can be. I never even did an oral book report, I was always so shy Id take a failing grade.


 We arrived at her school and found a parking spot. I hurried my 5 year old son and girlfriend inside camera in hand. I anxiously watched the other classes speak about the countries they had. I felt a lump start to gather in my throat, my palms were sweaty and my feet were nervously tapping on the gymnasium floor. There's no way I could be up there with a speaking part. I had such an overwhelming fear that my little girl would be afraid, cry, puke, and run off stage being forever scarred causing her to become an old recluse shut in with 15 cats as adult. Sounds weird I know but that's how my mind works.  My daughters class was the last to go and I'm proud to say she did amazing. She was up there next to her friends in her cool new outfit and spoke her part like a pro. I'm definitely proud of my little girl. I couldn't ask for a better daughter I don't have the words to describe the joy I feel in my heart watching my daughter succeed. 


Unfortunately, my mother was a no-show. She has a way of putting my children on the back burner. She doesn't stay for birthday parties, doesn't come visit them, and doesn't invite them over like she does her other grandchildren. Shes even had the nerve to tell me that my kids aren't really her grandchildren. According to her, they are more my girlfriends side of the family. That's my mothers not so subtle way of saying my kids are white and her real grandchildren are Hispanic. Its frustrating as hell because my kids don't know any better and love spending time with her.


Well... I'm not going to let my disappointment in my mothers behavior overshadow the happiness in my heart or my daughters big day. This weekend I'm going to treat her to a Father-Daughter dinner and ice cream at Friendly's then off to Game Stop for a well deserved video game.

4 comments:

  1. awwww I'm glad both your day's went well! It's so cute hearing you ramble like a proud daddy :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I have the same feelings as you do about the shyness. I am so glad it went well! Don't let anyone ruin it, ENJOY it!! You all deserve that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see she has the pride in herself and courage to stand up there and do her part at Cultural Day. Maybe she can give you some lessons on it so you can do it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. True I can learn a lot from her bravery

    ReplyDelete